Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Kit list


Well needless to say I have packed light...there will be no swanky restaurants (not even moderately swanky ones).

The abridged version:

I have the lightest tent I could find (featured above it is TINY), a sheet soaked in some hideous poison which apparently will stop me being eaten alive by bed bugs should I happen to end up in any less than salubrious guesthouses en route. Also coming with me is what looks like half a pharmacy to protect against all kinds of ailments (and that's in addition to the 20 odd jabs I had).

I will be wearing an assortment of lycra and merino (yes I will be looking truly delightful...). I have a pair of hideous sandals which are super practical but not very pretty - clearly an incentive to stay on the bike as much as possible if only so I can wear my bike shoes instead. A down jacket to help me transition from the New Zealand summer to the Chinese winter.

A spanner, I resisted buying this for sometime because they're heavy (yes even the small ones). I also thought it was probably something I could borrow, but I was convinced by someone a little more sensible than me (thanks Sean) that self-sufficiency is a bonus particularly when there are all manner of communication issues. An assortment of other bike tools which you'll be pleased to hear I do actually know how to use. Spare spokes, tyre, tubes etc etc.

A couple of books, I'm assuming that I will have read some before I get on the velo from Beijing, only one will be boarding the bicycle with me. A picture communication book complete with a picture of an alien - quite what this is for is beyond me (feel free to post any comedy suggestions). My best guess is that its for entertainment value - I have no idea what I will be presented with/pointed to when I approach an unsuspecting observer with that picture, but I fully intend to find out one day when I'm in need of a laugh.

Plus all the other usual things including an iPod charged with music capable of motivating me up the biggest of hills (or mountains)...I hope. A toothbrush.

Of course I do also have a bike which is meeting me in Beijing.

The complete list:

Camping:
Terra Nova Laser Competition tent
Primus Omnifuel stove
Fuel bottle
Pan
Penknife
Cutlery
Collapsible bowl aka sink
Water filter
Water treatment stuff
Water bladder thing
Sleeping bag
Self-inflating sleeping mat (3/4 length - I may regret this space saving measure when I get cold feet...)

Bike:
Avanti ridge rider bike
Spare spokes
Spare Schwalbe Marathon XR tyre
Spare tubes
Pump
Puncture repair kit
Bike tool
Chain whip
Cassette remover
Pliers
Spanner
Spare gear cable
Lube
Chain links
Water bottles
Lock
Lights
Ortlieb panniers and barbag
Helmet

Clothes:
Bike shorts
Bike leggings
Merino tops
Bike shoes
Sandals
Hat
Gloves
Down jacket
Waterproofs
Travel towel

Toiletries
Medical kit
Camera & film
iPod
Notebook
Wordless travel book
Reading book
An assortment of credit cards as well as travellers cheques and some cash
Passport
Maps that will hopefully get me as far as Europe, where I will pick up some more, or failing that just follow my nose after all it can't be that far...



1 comment:

M Dawson said...

Good luck with the trip. I hope you are able to keep your blog going I'll put you on my RSS feed to see how you go.

Have a great trip.