Tuesday, March 4, 2008

The happy reunion

My velo has finally caught up with me a few days late and a little battered and bruised, but nothing too serious thankfully.

To get my sticky mitts on it I had to pass the Chinese bureaucracy test - in the space of 2 1/2 hours I saw about 20 different people in 11 different offices none of whom spoke any English. Early on in the piece some random guy took pity on me and from then on I just smiled, traipsed around after him and signed forms and looked thoroughly put out when I was told I had to visit yet another office and pay another customs tax. My newfound friend didn't speak any English so I just kept my fingers crossed. Somehow it all worked out and my first brush with Chinese bureaucracy hasn't scarred me for life although can't say I'm desperate for a repeat...

The bike box was a little battered and I wasn't entirely sure what I would find when I opened it so I wussed out of unpacking it at the airport and put it in a taxi. I was amazed that it fitted in the boot, ok so the boot didn't exactly shut, but it was at least 80% in.

When I finally got it up to Robyn's apartment it was like Christmas I was very excited which is a little ridiculous given that I knew what was in my oversized parcel...




There were a few technical hiccups...the bike appears to have flown most of the way with one of the brake levers compressed which meant it took a while to get the front wheel on (I wasn't really feeling the unicycle look).

I tried to ease myself in gently by going for a ride around the park yesterday. Paid my Y5 (you have to pay to get into parks over here...). The woman at the desk was looking a bit strangely at my bike but didn't say anything. So I thought I must be allowed to ride through the park...error. Clearly not. She launched at me in a tirade of Mandarin which I clearly didn't understand...that'll be me riding round the car park then.

The bike and I have since graduated to the road. I'm having to remember to ride on the right, although it doesn't make that much difference since the road rules (I am assured that there are some, its just they're pretty incomprehensible to foreigners...) are only loosely adhered to over here.

No comments: