Monday, March 24, 2008

The "start" of the Silk road



As the one time capital of China, Xi'an was the last stop on the Silk Road for those travelling east or the beginning for those travelling west. So its only right and proper that they have a monument to mark the "start" - the Chinese see it as the start and not the end - of the Silk Road. This thing was basically a huge statue of camels (apparently they didn't travel by velo back in the day) and traveller types serving as a huge climbing frame for the local kids.

And so it appears that I am now on the Silk Road proper.

I have one day left in Xi'an and am going to bike around the old city walls, apparently my bike isn't allowed, so I'll be on a flying pigeon...Tonight I'm headed for Lanzhou on the train which will buy me some time to go and see some of the sights further north/west (visa clock is ticking...) and hopefully get me somewhere with cleaner air.

No comments: