Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The perils of solo travel


I am a fan of travelling alone (just as well I suppose), however, it does have its drawbacks. Picture the scene. Emma, a bike, really really rank air. The sort of air that you don't really want to breathe, but holding your breath only makes you cough and splutter and inadvertantly breathe a little more. Added to the haze of pollution it appears to be whatever the Chinese equivalent of bonfire night is and there are a series of small fires lining the street. Truly hideous. And on the street the locals are going about their business, but a few of them have dirty faces. Emma wonders idly why someone doesn't point this out to them so they could go and wash their cheeks - a passing thought.

The day continues with more of the same. Emma passes a number of hideous factories doing she knows not what, but she also passed Henan's coal gasification plant. It appears that this plant is used to get rid of the dirty coal residue. Anyone who knows how rank this stuff is first time around (those little black cylinders of coal that the Chinese cook over)can imagine how gross it smells the second time around.
After a gruelling 80k trying desperately not to breathe too deeply. Emma sets her sights on a hotel and proceeds to bargain with them over 10 kwai (about 2 dinners in the Chinese wop wops). All of this takes some time and involves 4 or 5 different people. Price agreed Emma and bike head to their room for the night and wave goodbye to the multiple fuyang who are helping carry bags.

At this point I look in the mirror and I am sporting a full on monobrow of dirt. I have no idea how long I looked this ridiculous for, and can't quite believe that I'm posting photographic evidence, but it made me laugh so much I had to share!

Who knows how silly I would have looked had I not had a helmet, glasses and facemask to offer some protection....

1 comment:

Windy Chris said...

Emma,i have just wet myself in an internet cafe in Thailand. Thankyou!! But am now rather worried that i may be commiting the same offence on the road down here.Will make more use of rear view mirror (and suggest you do the same!)