Sunday, March 9, 2008

The long-awaited departure

Having been in Beijing 2 weeks I am now all visa-ed up as far as the Caspian Sea. I will have to stop in Tashkent to get a visa for Azerbaijan...having found the embassy here I was told they couldn't give me one, something to do with needing to pay in pounds and them not having the right bank account, but its alright because I can get one in the airport - not SO helpful).

Anyway I have missioned around Beijing collecting all the things I could possibly need for the next few weeks (white gas was a hoot) its been quite a treasure hunt. Today I have battled the bulge (the panniers not the puku) and ditched some of my possessions although I suspect not enough...I board the bike in the morning and should hit Xian in a couple of weeks.

All that remains is for me to say thanks to Jill for putting me in touch with Robyn, Alia for taking me out (and making sure I can get home again) and Robyn for putting me up, helping me out and showing me round.

Let the adventures commence...

1 comment:

Oscar said...

Dear Emma,

The very best of luck. We are all excited and a little bit nervous for you. We are looking forward to all your roadside posts.

Kind est regards,

C